We have been hearing a lot about Herd immunity. Let us understand Herd immunity.
Herd immunity can work against the spread of some diseases. There are several reasons why it often works. When a large percentage of the population becomes immune to a disease, the spread of that disease slows down or stops. Many viral and bacterial infections spread from person to person. This chain is broken when most people don't get or transmit the infection.
Herd immunity happens when so many people in a community become immune to an infectious disease that it stops the disease from spreading.
This can happen in two ways:
1. Many people contract the disease and in time build up an immune response to it (natural immunity).
2. Many people are vaccinated against the disease to achieve immunity.
Natural immunity occurs when you become immune to a specific disease after contracting it. This triggers your immune system to make antibodies against the germ causing the infection inside you. Antibodies are like special bodyguards that only recognize certain germs.
Herd immunity does work for some illnesses. Eg: People in Norway successfully developed at least partial herd immunity to the H1N1 virus (swine flu) through vaccinations and natural immunity.
Herd immunity can help stop the spread of illness, such as swine flu, and other pandemics within an entire country. But it can change without anyone knowing. Also, it doesn't always guarantee protection against any disease.
There are several reasons why herd immunity isn't the answer to stopping the spread of the new coronavirus:
1. There isn't yet a vaccine for COVID. Vaccinations are the safest way to practice herd immunity in a population.
2. The research for antivirals and other medications to treat COVID-19 is ongoing.
3. Doctors don't yet know exactly why some people contract develop severe COVID-19, while others do not.
4. Vulnerable members of society, such as older adults and people with some chronic health conditions, could get very sick if they're exposed to this virus.
5. Otherwise healthy and younger people may become very ill with COVID-19.
6. Hospitals and healthcare systems may be overburdened if many people develop COVID-19 at the same time.
You can also get natural immunity by building an immune response to it, by taking a product like ANBUTA PLUS Immunomodulator Drops and
Author has been advocating
Importance of Immunity, for a decade
*Based on prevailing situation, at the time of writing